Create a Culture at Work that Encourages Biking
Three Program Goals
- Provide employers with the resources for a bike-friendly workplace;
- Inform businesses about the growing demand for bicycle amenities;
- Help promote Pittsburgh as a great place for bike commuting nationally, and recognize the employers supporting this transformation.
Five Simple Steps for Recognition
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org. The next deadline for the Fall round of BFE is Thursday October 31, 2013;
- Become a business member. Local advocacy is a key to becoming a BFE;
- A site visit is scheduled to assess your workplace;
- We follow up with a tailored action plan, including a list of cost-effective solutions;
- Once your workplace has the essentials* we award you with BFE certification, and promote your organization on our website.
Once you’ve become certified, we encourage you to apply for national recognition from the League of American Bicyclists. It’s a tougher process, but you’ll already be far along having worked with us locally.
*The two essentials that all BFEs have in common are a workplace culture that embraces and promotes biking to work, and bike parking that is secure, convenient and plentiful. Once those two elements are in place the rest is easy!
- Need bike parking? There are Bike racks available through Bike Pittsburgh
- Want to incentivize bike commuting? Implement the commuter tax benefit
- Desire to “green” your events? Try our Bike Valet service to encourage your guests to bike to your event
- Looking to provide educational info on biking? Share the Pittsburgh Bike Map and Bike Commuting 101 guide
Join the Community of Bike Friendly Employers!
Action Housing (PGH), Aero Tech Design, Barkley REI, Carnegie Mellon-Oakland Campus, Chatham University, Click Brands, Deeplocal, Google Pittsburgh, East End Food Coop, Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, InspectTech, Kane Region Center – Ross TWSP, Kelly Strayhorn Theather, Mullen, Mech E Carnegie Mellon, OTB Bicycle Cafe, pairNetworks, Pashek and Associates, The Priory Hotel, REI South Side Works, Springboard Design, Student Conservation Association, The Sprout Fund, University of Pittsburgh, UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside, Urban Design Associates, Whole Foods Market, & Zipcar