Reduce the Number of Single Occupant Car Trips One Trip at a Time
Now in its fifth year Car Free Fridays remains focused in its goal to encourage the region’s residents to bike, walk, take transit and carpool!
WYEP Final Fridays at Schenley Plaza
Join BikePGH and hoards of live music fans the last Fridays of every month this Summer in Schenley Plaza at WYEP’s Final Fridays. We’re providing bike valet and the Port Authority has lots of service to Oakland. Not good options for you? How about a carpool with friends! Don’t inch your way through traffic when you can spend more time enjoying the show. Drop your bike off at the entrance to Schenley Plaza and be on your way!
Car Free Fridays is sponsored by:
How to Participate in Car Free Fridays
- Attend a Car Free Fridays event; See the 2014 Schedule below!
- Login to National Bike Challenge to tally the miles that you bike and walk to get to work, run errands, and shop;
- Join a BikePool here! Or find or create one using the Message Board and Pittsburgh Bike Map
Car Free Fridays Events
Car Free Fridays promotes local events that have plenty of bike parking, are conveniently accessed by public transportation, and encourage biking, walking, and transit.
Calendar for Car Free Fridays:
Please note times are for all events are subject to change.
- April 25 – Downtown Gallery Crawl (no valet / 5 “pop up” bike parking stations)
- May 17 – Venture Outdoors Festival, Point State Park
- June 6 -15 – Three Rivers Arts Festival, Point State Park
- June 28 – WYEP summer concert, Schenley Plaza, Oakland
- July 11 – Downtown Gallery Crawl (no valet / 5 “pop up” bike parking stations)
- July 25 – WYEP summer concert, Schenley Plaza, Oakland
- August 29 – WYEP summer concert, Schenley Plaza, Oakland
- September 26 – WYEP summer concert, Schenley Plaza, Oakland
- September 26 – Downtown Gallery Crawl (no valet / 5 “pop up” bike parking stations)
Sign up for the National Bike Challenge today
Last year PGH put in a solid performance. We were the largest metro area in the top 40. Places like Cleveland are hot on our wheels and challenged us to the Rust Belt Crown. We can’t lose momentum. Sign up now!
The challenge runs from May 1st to September 30th and is held as part of a national effort thanks to Kimberly Clark LLC, the League of American Bicyclists, and web developer endomondo.com. Participants can compete simultaneously as individuals, part of a team, workplaces, cities and states. And because of the tie to the national challenge you can see your standings on both local and national levels! There’s even an app that smartphone users can download right from a tab on the homepage to directly track and log the trips you take. All bike rides count, but a point system is in place that heavily credits daily trips giving people who use bikes for transportation an advantage (+20 points for each day you ride. +1 for each mile.) OTB Bicycle Cafe is the sponsors of the local challenge.
Without further ado, join the challenge at nationalbikechallenge.org! Then grab your bike and some friends, rally your coworker and neighbors, and lets get Pittsburgh to the top of the national leaderboard!
Build the Momentum
It’s easy to make any event a Car Free Fridays event, just encourage active transportation and BikePGH will help you get the word out! If you are interested in learning more about being a sponsor or partner contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for details