Bike Pittsburgh is leading the charge to get Pittsburgh to complete our streets!
Complete Streets is the idea that the streets of our cities and towns ought to be for everyone, whether young or old, motorist or bicyclist, walker or wheelchair user, bus rider or shopkeeper. But too many of our streets are designed only for speeding cars, or worse, creeping traffic jams. They’re unsafe for people on foot or bike — and unpleasant for everybody.
Now, in communities across the country, a movement is growing to complete the streets. States, cities and towns are asking their planners, engineers and designers to build road networks that welcome all citizens.
COMPLETE STREETS are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users. Pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and bus riders of all ages and abilities are able to safely move along and across a complete street.
To date, more than 50 jurisdictions, including cities such as Salt Lake City and Seattle, have adopted complete streets measures, and many others are considering them.
The Bloomington Indiana is the most recent win for this movement when, in January of 2009, the MPO adopted a “Complete Streets” policy.
Groups supporting complete streets have formed the National Complete Streets Coalition, with active participation from groups representing seniors, transit users, pedestrians, bicyclists, and disabled people, as well as smart growth proponents and professional organizations such as the American Planning Association and the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
- READ how Complete Streets can benefit our region
- DOWNLOAD various resources including the basic Powerpoint presentation on why we need Complete Streets and/or the extended Powerpoint presentation on how to design Complete Streets
- READ an FAQ on implementation of Complete Streets
- WATCH a video explaining the difference between a complete and an incomplete street
- READ an article in USA Today about communities that have passed Complete Streets legislation
- READ an article in AARP Bulletin about Complete Streets
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE MONTHLY COMPLETE THE STREETS NEWSLETTER
This monthly newsletter issued by the National Complete Streets Coalition provides a roundup of news related to complete streets policies — policies to ensure that the entire right of way is routinely designed and operated to enable safe access for all users. Please sign up and pass it around!