Pittsburgh’s charm is due in part to our three rivers, countless bridges, and hills. However, they also make it hard to find your way around. Knowing how to avoid the busy arterial roads will make a much more pleasurable and safe ride. Here are some online resources to help you get around. If you still need some help, feel free to email us or post a question to our message board.
Pittsburgh Bike Map
Find out about safe cycling techniques, the best routes as described by seasoned Pittsburgh cyclists, and the trails. Click on the image to find out where to obtain a copy.
Interactive Online Maps and Resources
Explore Pittsburgh by bike, explore the map. We packed in tons of useful information such as trails, bridge crossings, landmarks, notes, friendly and cautionary routes, bike shops and more!
- Bike Pittsburgh Message Board – A great way to keep up-to-date and to ask local cyclists about preferred routes, tips, information, road conditions.
- Bike Pittsburgh’s Bike Commuting 101 Guide – The complete “How to” guide for riding to work. Full of tips and ideas presented as a fun, readable comic book.
- Google Maps “Bike There” – A great mapping tool from Google. Find good ways to get from point A to point B.
- Bicycle PA Routes – For bike touring in Pennsylvania
- BikePGH Events Calendar – Lots of events and weekly rides to help you meet other cyclists and gain the confidence to ride and explore on your own.
Bikes on Transit
- Click here for everything you need to know about taking your bike on Port Authority transit
Trails and Trail Maps
- Three Rivers Heritage Trail Map – A comprehensive guide to the city’s riverfront trails put together by Friends of the Riverfront.
- Great Allegheny Passage Map- Trail Map for the Pittsburgh to DC ride put together by the Allegheny Trail Alliance.
- Click here for a complete list of regional Western Pennsylvania trails and trail organizations.
- “They Working” Trail Volunteer Fund – Provides grants to to be used by volunteer trail projects that create, maintain, or enhance the bicycle trails in western Pennsylvania
- ExplorePAtrails – One stop site for all of Pennsylvania’s trails. Find trails, info, etc.
Other Transportation Resources
- Oakland Transportation Management Association – Assists with information on commuting and transportation alternatives
- Consider joining or starting a BikePool. A BikePool is a group of riders who meet daily at a pre-determined location and ride together to work or back home. Group rides are safer, so new folks will feel more comfortable getting started. You can also use our message board to make arrangements with people to ride.
- Bike Rides Around Pittsburgh – 425-plus bicycle rides, from .6 to 110 miles. People from elsewhere have trouble imagining this, but Pittsburgh is like a little village. Get beyond the city limits, and you’re in cornfields and cow pastures. This manual helps show you how to explore the region by giving ride suggestions on which you can elaborate as you become familiar with the general Pittsburgh territory near where you do most of your riding. Written by Oscar Swan
- Venture Outdoors – Leads hundreds of outdoor tours in the region, including many bike rides.
- Wilderness Voyagers – The largest bike tour operator in Pennsylvania operating tours on the GAP/ C& O and in 10 other Pennsylvania counties
- Bike the Burgh – Unique urban bicycle tours featuring history, art, and architecture – Pittsburgh
- Pedal PA – Leads bicycle tours of Pennsylvania